Freehold Games, LLC
Based in South Bend, IN and Berkeley, CA
March 1, 2013
Press / Business Contact:
69080 Sycamore Road
Walkerton, IN 46574
Freehold Games is a tiny indie studio founded by Brian Bucklew and Jason Grinblat. We make games built on two design pillars: 1) Bizarre, baroque, original settings. We share an eclectic love for the natural and humanistic worlds and it compels us to sculpt immersive settings out of their varied clays. 2) Generativity. Emergence is fascinating to us; we love to be surprised by what we make. So we build complex systems then let players collide them, and together we observe the results.
HistoryCaves of Qud
Caves of Qud is a project of epic proportions that began in 2007 and launched on Steam Early Access in 2015. We wanted to weave a rich, exotic, and well-researched culture around deeply simulated physical and political systems. The result is an open-world roguelike where the gameplay is unpredictable, the plants are sentient, and the development is ongoing.Mad Ball
Mad Ball was developed in 30 days for the 2012 Something Awful GameDev Challenge. Brian Bucklew produced and programmed, Jason Grinblat designed and wrote, Jaana Heiska made art, and Melanie Ehrlich and Lucas Nguyen voice acted. It won both the Judges’ Choice and Players’ Choice awards.Sproggiwood
After collaborating on Mad Ball, Brian Bucklew, Jason Grinblat, and Jaana Heiska teamed up again in 2012 to work on a story-driven roguelike adventure set in a world inspired by Finnish mythology. Sproggiwood was released for PC, Mac, and Linux in October 2014 and iOS and Android in May 2015.
Caves of Qud (Early Access) YouTube
There are far more images available for Freehold Games, LLC, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "There’s a sense of magnificent history to dredge from its depths."
- Chris Priestman, Kill Screen
- "Caves of Qud has a particular kind of New Wave science fiction imagination that just can’t be beat."
- Cameron Kunzelman, Paste Magazine
- "Narratively, this is one of the most compelling game stories that I’ve seen in a long time."
- Charlie Hall, Polygon
- "It gets to the heart of one of the big strengths of the genre, the feeling of having to MacGyver an immediate solution from whatever you've got at hand. It's a rare title that can satisfy players of varying skill levels, but I think Sproggiwood fits the bill nicely."
- Shaun Musgrave, Touch Arcade
- "Sproggiwood is a bright, gorgeous looking game, and it handles brilliantly on mobile. It's never fiddly, and the twists it adds to the roguelike formula means it offers up a deep, engaging experience that fits in your pocket."
- Harry Slater, Pocket Gamer
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Gameplay and Engine Programmer, Producer, Designer
Designer, Writer, Gameplay Programmer, Producer